[pdftex] FYI: Acrobat Reader 5.0.5

oscar at iit.upco.es oscar at iit.upco.es
Tue May 21 16:47:50 CEST 2002

story at uakron.edu escribió:

> Acrobat Reader 5.0.5 for Linux and Sun Solris SPARC
> has been loaded to the adobe web site.  See
>
> http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

Many thanks for the link.

Does anybody know if this version has improved the video display support
for linux. I work on a linux box and I create presentations using
pdflatex and I usually insert a video by means of:

\newcommand{\video}[5]{\vspace{#3}\hspace{#2}{\pdfannot width #4 height
#5 depth 0cm { /Subtype /Movie /C [1 0 0] /Border [0 0 3] /Movie
<</Poster true /F (#1)>> }}}
\video{g.avi}{4cm}{12cm}{12cm}{12cm}

Of course this video can only be displayed properly in windows, but for
development pourposes this was enough, because the presentation usually
was in a windos PC. So I develop the presentation on linux and finally
the video was displayed in a windows PC

Recently, I tested an old presentation using this method in a PC with
Acrobat 5.00 and it was unable to load the video. it asked me for
QuickTime Plugin. What does it mean ? Should I buy QuickTime? Does it
exist any way to display avi videos in current acrobat  version?

Moreover there exist any way to produce a presentation to be displayed
in linux with a video format. I usually produce a video image by making
a sequence of graphs that I merge into a single gif animated and
converted to avi. But I do not mind the format of the video animation,
I'd just like to show a sequence of graphs without striking N times the
enter key.

Does anybody please comment its own experiences including video formats
on linux?

Thanks a lot for your help
Best regards