[pdftex] Why are pages smaller with pdflatex? / Margins with pdftex

Stueker, Dirk dirk.stueker at volkswagen.de
Fri May 17 12:02:28 CEST 2002

I discovered another problem:
When processing the same document with pdflatex and latex, the
margins are different. When using latex one can add some dvips-offsets
so that the printed output is "correct". But what can I do to
manipulate the margins with pdflatex.

To make things clear: Try the following document:

% ======
\documentclass{article}
\pagestyle{empty}
\topmargin0cm
\topskip0cm
\headsep0pt
\headheight0pt
\footskip0mm
\oddsidemargin0pt
\evensidemargin0pt
\parindent0pt
\newcommand{\sm}[1]{\texttt{#1}}
\begin{document}
\rule{2cm}{1cm}\par This box should appear 2cm from the left and 1cm from
the top of the page.
\\
The next box should have the size 3cm x 2cm.
    \setlength{\unitlength}{1cm}
    \dashbox{5.0}(3.0, 2.0){3cm x 2cm?}
\end{document}
% =====

The upper box does not appear at the right position when using pdflatex.

Any help is really appreciated.
Cheers
Dirk