[pdftex] Problems with pdftex.map

The Thanh Han hanthethanh at gmx.net
Fri May 17 11:33:16 CEST 2002

Hi Reinhard,

> The result was an upright "a" and a slanted "b" with the font only
> loaded once.  AR was able to display it.
>
> Thanh, are there any problems using the Tm operator to change the
> FontMatrix rather than modifying the font itself?  I think it's even
> easier to implement.

probably Mark had in mind changing the font matrix by altering the
/FontMatrix key in the font resource dict of a pdf file (not to be confused
with the FontMatrix inside a Type1 font file). If I remember correctly, then
the true is what Mark has already said: it seems impossible, AR always
takes the canonical values regardless to the ones specified by
/FontMatrix.

Changing Tm/cm to implement font slant/extend is possible as dvips
and dvipdfm have done. However, imagine a line when you have all kind of
combinations of extent/slant/expanded fonts, then it's far from trivial to
keep everything work correctly together. A basic font can be at the same
time extended, slanted and expanded. Keeping track of the right values of
the transformation matrix for each font switch is really complicated.

Regards,
Thanh