[pdftex] Problems with pdftex.map

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard at kammer.uni-hannover.de
Mon May 13 01:17:56 CEST 2002

    > I thought that it was necessary to put the font names in the map
    > file if you want to prevent pdftex from including the same font
    > twice (if the font is used in an image that you are including as
    > well as elsewhere in your document).

No, the font name is part of the font definition.  When pdfTeX loads a
font, it knows its name.

    > I presume the font has to be included twice if you use it once
    > without "SlantFont" (or "ExtendFont") and once with.

"SlantFont" and "ExtendFont" modifies the coordinate system when the
font is used, not the font itself.  There is no need to load the font
twice, and I think pdfTeX doesn't.

    > I would hope that pdftex could be modified so that it checks for
    > SlantFont & ExtendFont when it is deciding whether a font it
    > finds in an image file is the same as one that is already

It should ignore "SlantFont" and "ExtendFont" because it's actually
the same font.

    > included. I don't want to have to control whether or not pdftex
    > reincludes an image file font by modifying the map file for each
    > individual document. (i.e. remove the font name if the image
    > contains the font in slanted form and the document itself uses
    > the font unslanted, but put the font name in if the the two uses
    > of the font are compatible and I don't want it included twice.)

You don't have to change the map file.  Just remove the PostScript
name from all lines containing "SlantFont" and/or "ExtendFont" in your
map file.  Ideally pdfTeX should ignore those lines when searching a
font.

    > Incidentally, what about magnification? I think that pdftex has
    > to include the font several times if it is used at several
    > magnifications. How does this interact with fonts in image
    > files?

Same as above, scaling is done by changing the coordinate system, not
the font.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Reinhard Kotucha			               Phone: +49-511-751355
Berggartenstr. 9
D-30419 Hannover	              mailto:reinhard at kammer.uni-hannover.de