[pdftex] Problems with pdftex.map

Bob Howlett rhowlett at mail.usyd.edu.au
Sun May 12 23:38:03 CEST 2002

I thought that it was necessary to put the font names in the
map file if you want to prevent pdftex from including the same
font twice (if the font is used in an image that you are
including as well as elsewhere in your document).

I presume the font has to be included twice if you use it
once without "SlantFont" (or "ExtendFont") and once with.

I would hope that pdftex could be modified so that it checks
for SlantFont & ExtendFont when it is deciding whether a font
it finds in an image file is the same as one that is already
included. I don't want to have to control whether or not
pdftex reincludes an image file font by modifying the map
file for each individual document. (i.e. remove the font name
if the image contains the font in slanted form and the
document itself uses the font unslanted, but put the font
name in if the the two uses of the font are compatible and
I don't want it included twice.)

Incidentally, what about magnification? I think that pdftex
has to include the font several times if it is used at
several magnifications. How does this interact with fonts
in image files?

Bob Howlett