[pdftex] Problems with pdftex.map

Thierry Bouche thierry.bouche at ujf-grenoble.fr
Sat May 11 10:18:29 CEST 2002

Le samedi 11 mai 2002, à 02:04:28, Reinhard Kotucha écrivit :

RK> The intention is that a font should appear only once in a document.
RK> This is reasonable.

the outlines of the font. In fact, pdftex makes a very nice job on this,
it even deals with included PDFs that use a font which is not included.
It will define a new font with its own encoding for each included PDF,
which is safe because you may include PDFs with MacRoman encoding
together withs PDFs with the same font, but 8r encoded or anything else.
It keeps track of the characters used in each included PDF, encode them
in the particular fontlet, and subset once the font with all used chars.

RK> If pdfTeX substitutes a font, it lookes into pdftex.map and obviously
RK> uses the first entry which matches "URWPalladioL-Roma".

I wasn't aware of this. I've been using this feature for years now (I'm
the one who asked for it, I believe). I must confess that I use my own
.map files, and I'd never had the idea to define variants before base
fonts. Yes, this is a shortcoming.

RK> Ideally pdfTeX should look for "URWPalladioL-Roma" in the map-file and
RK> associate this with "uplr8a.pfb".  No more, no less.

yes.

RK> Things like ".82 ExtendFont" should be ignored when reading the map
RK> file.

I suppose you mean "lines containing things like..."; and Slantfont too,
of course, which is much more frequent.

RK> Even if pdfTeX finds the line
RK> pplr8r URWPalladioL-Roma "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont" <8r.enc <uplr8a.pfb

RK> is it correct to apply "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont"?

it won't anyway.

--
Cordialement,
 Thierry