[pdftex] Problems with pdftex.map

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard at kammer.uni-hannover.de
Sat May 11 03:04:28 CEST 2002

    > Thomas Esser wrote:
    >>> Change these lines to be
    >>>
    >>> pplr8rn ".82 ExtendFont TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont" <8r.enc <uplr8a.pfb
    >>> pplr8r URWPalladioL-Roma "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont" <8r.enc <uplr8a.pfb
    >>>
    >>  Well, Thanh has given me different advice whether to put the
    >> fontname into the map file or not. The last thing he told me
    >> was to put the names in.  Can't someone just fix this bug?
    >>
    > Isn't it that PostScript names of embedded fonts must be
    > included in the PDF output file (so that the first line would
    > not be allowed, because it does not tell this name to pdftex)?

The type1 font file, uplr8a.pfb in this case, contains a line:
/FontName URWPalladioL-Roma def

So pdfTeX knows the PostScript font name.

This is the problem:
An included graphic contained the font "URWPalladioL-Roma".  That's
all pdfTeX knows about the font.

If pdfTeX includes an external file which contains fonts, it tries to
substitute the font.  pdfTeX assumes that a font used in an included
file is used in the main document as well.  TeX does not know whether
this is true because TeX cannot look ahead.

The intention is that a font should appear only once in a document.
This is reasonable.

If pdfTeX substitutes a font, it lookes into pdftex.map and obviously
uses the first entry which matches "URWPalladioL-Roma".

In this case it finds 'pplr8rn URWPalladioL-Roma ".82 ExtendFont ..."'
instead of 'pplr8r URWPalladioL-Roma "TeXBase1..."'

Well, the more I think about it, the more I think it's a bug in
pdfTeX.

Ideally pdfTeX should look for "URWPalladioL-Roma" in the map-file and
associate this with "uplr8a.pfb".  No more, no less.

Things like ".82 ExtendFont" should be ignored when reading the map
file.

Even if pdfTeX finds the line
pplr8r URWPalladioL-Roma "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont" <8r.enc <uplr8a.pfb

is it correct to apply "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont"?

I think it's wrong because an included file can use characters that
are inaccessible in TeXBase1Encoding.  I don't think pdfTeX does,  but
I think that applying ".82 ExtendFont" is wrong.

Since Thanh is very busy at the moment, could anyone who has more
experience than me look into the code?

Regards,
  Reinhard

Reinhard Kotucha			               Phone: +49-511-751355
Berggartenstr. 9
D-30419 Hannover	              mailto:reinhard at kammer.uni-hannover.de