[pdftex] pdflatex problem with bibtex URL entries using underscore

Nelson H. F. Beebe beebe at math.utah.edu
Tue Mar 12 11:29:09 CET 2002

Robin Fairbairns <Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk> writes on Tue, 12 Mar
2002 18:24:20 +0000:

>> > \path|http://www3.oup.co.uk/computer_journal/hdb/Volume_17/Issue_02/tiff/192.tif|
>>
>> how do you deal with overlong lines?  that one is 80 characters, so
>> bibtex will split it.  how does \path deal with that?

That is a bug in BibTeX which will be fixed in the next release,
though it may be a long time coming.

In the meantime, I postprocess ALL .bbl files with a script, available
at

	ftp://ftp.math.utah.edu/pub/tex/bib/unwrapbbl

so \path never sees an incorrectly wrapped argument.

Since all such processing is controlled by Makefiles, this is of no
consequence for my heavy use of BibTeX.

- Center for Scientific Computing       FAX: +1 801 585 1640, +1 801 581 4148 -
- University of Utah                    Internet e-mail: beebe at math.utah.edu  -
- Department of Mathematics, 110 LCB        beebe at acm.org  beebe at computer.org -
- 155 S 1400 E RM 233                       beebe at ieee.org                    -
- Salt Lake City, UT 84112-0090, USA    URL: http://www.math.utah.edu/~beebe  -