[pdftex] memory management problems

James Lever j.lever at uq.edu.au
Tue Jun 25 21:55:36 CEST 2002

Hi All,

I've been web surfing for a long time to try to solve this
problem, and all leads point me at the same solution ->
raise your memory in your texmf.cnf file

Well, I've done this numerous times and attempted to recompile
my document using many of the various tex varieties and to no
avail.

--
The usual, common problem is this:

! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [pool size=72356].
\@providesfile ... \xdef \csname ver@#1\endcsname
                                                  {#2}\endgroup
l.40 ...UICK-QUICK/10e-5/n6409-Mass-Imbalance.eps}

If you really absolutely need more capacity,
you can ask a wizard to enlarge me.

Here is how much of TeX's memory you used:
 2174 strings out of 10915
 72283 string characters out of 72356
 139119 words of memory out of 262141
 3767 multiletter control sequences out of 9500
 12617 words of font info for 43 fonts, out of 150000 for 255
 14 hyphenation exceptions out of 607
 27i,8n,23p,367b,310s stack positions out of 300i,40n,60p,3000b,4000s
Output written on report.dvi (40 pages, 127784 bytes).
--

and the reason is that I have a chapter with a few hundred images in it.

I have even taken it to the level of splitting the chapter, though I
see this as rather pointless.

I've made changes to my texmf.cnf file and also made changes to a local
version and used the variable TEXMFCNF ~jamver/texmf/web2c: to read my
local texmf.cnf first.

In my texmf.cnf I have the following (to start with)

max_strings = 300000
pool_size = 5000000
main_memory = 8000000

and other settings.  These don't appear to be being read.

What is the magic?

Thanks for listening.

ps: if this isn't an appropriate forum, please point me to one that
is more suitable.

cheers,
James

--
James Lever - ViSAC Laboratoy Manager, ACMC, The University of Queensland.
- http://home.visac.uq.edu.au/people/jamver/index.html#sigs