[pdftex] Embedding and CMYK

h+i na199 at worldonline.de
Fri Jul 26 22:09:20 CEST 2002

> Used to use Micrografx Picture Publisher, am I right that it is only for
> Windows?

As for Micrografx (version 8): true, it´s only windows. But free!

,
> I too would like to hear if anyone has a solution for incorporating simple
> raster graphics using black levels, rather than just CMY, on Linux?

About rastergraphic and black: if you have real vector graphic and you use
only a small number of colors, let´s say black, white and few others, you
could change the colors with an editor in the [e]ps-file. They are ascii!

Example:
The following ps-commands are equal (but govern different behaviour when
separating colors)

Black in cmyk is like:   1 1 1 0  setcmykcolor

         in rgb:                 0 0 0  setrgbcolor

        in gray-values:           0 setgray

The commands might differ a little in your ps-drawing program (this is from
"Tailor" on a Nextstep-Computer, there e.g. "nxsetgray" is the local variety).
Especially the gray values make sense; some interpreter (or ripper or
whatever) want to separate colors when rgb or cmyk is encountered (but
they should not) and you cannot get one only sheet with pure black
separated.

Until now I never noticed any side effects. Also it´s faster to modify  with an
editor than using a full-fledged drawing program.

Some programs hide these commands completely (I think Adobe Illustrator is
one of them), so you might try to run the AI-file through some filter
(Ghostscript might do).

bye
hh