[pdftex] special characters in \pdfinfo

Holger Daszler pdftex at daszler.de
Thu Jul 11 15:40:29 CEST 2002

On Thu, 11 Jul 2002, Heiko Oberdiek wrote:

> * If you are using LaTeX, why are you using \pdfinfo,
>   packages hyperref handles the umlauts correctly, if
>   given after package is loaded:
> \usepackage{ngerman}% or [ngerman]{babel}
> % also inputenc is supported for 8-bit characters
> \usepackage{hyperref}
> \hypersetup{%
>   pdfauthor={Holger Da"sler},%
>   pdftitle={...},%
> }

The solution is near:

I'm using one sourcefile for latex and pdflatex. I'm not using \pdfinfo,
(my wrong description), but hyperref.

With your example with 'hypersetup' the umlaut "s is
handled correctly. My former source was:

\usepackage[pdftex,pdfauthor={Holger Da"sler}]{hyperref}

This does'nt work!
So, usage of hypersetup is a workaround, but whats the diffence between
the two versions of configuring hyperref?

Thanks for help,
Holger