[pdftex] Re: Distiller server

Martin Schroeder martin at oneiros.de
Mon Feb 11 13:23:05 CET 2002

On 2002-02-11 12:42:24 +0100, Hans Hagen wrote:
> >I'd suggest you spend the money on a lawyer instead. Adobe Acrobat's
> >license explicitely forbids networked usage of the distiller
> >(although the software is perfectly capable of it) unless you
> >have an Acrobat license for all computers in the network.
>
> Then I wonder why it's design reflects a service. Don't they have a network
> version (say with a limited number of connected users)? May I mail someone

No. What they have is the Distiller server, which is available
for 100 seats and unlimited. But I'm pretty sure that even the
Distiller server doesn't limit the number of users; you just get
a special license.

> a distilled file? If users can use gs or niknak (or whatever this

Yes. But you may not setup a website which accepts PS and sends
back PDF. Read your Acrobat license. :-}

[...]

> PS. I must also admit that i would not even know how to install such a
> thing on a network -)

Easy. Put the watchfolder on the network. But don't do this
unless all machines in the network have a licsense... :-)

Best regards
        Martin

P.S.: I don't know the license of PDF creator (the Jaws thing),
      but I presume they also disallow networked usage.
--
                http://www.tm.oneiros.de/calendar/2002/