[pdftex] Pdflatex printing problems / Acrobat Reader

Greg Slabaugh slabaugh at ece.gatech.edu
Thu Aug 22 20:13:44 CEST 2002

Hello,

I am a newbie at pdflatex and am having some trouble printing.  The
document I've created using the pdflatex program with the miktex
distribution looks great on screen when I load the .pdf file in Acrobat
Reader.  When I print though, I get a message saying "An error occurred
when downloading a font.  This document might not print
correctly".  Indeed, the equations are terrible - it looks like a
different font is being used during printing than what is displayed
onscreen, but only for the equations in my document.

I was reading some of the archives from this group; someone suggested
editing the psfonts.map file, replacing

cmtex10 CMTEX10 <cmtex10.pfb

with

cmtex10 CMTEX10 <<cmtex10.pfb

and the like.  I did this for the 7 or so fonts that my document is using,
creating a new .pdf file.  When I printed this new file, I didn't get the
error message in Acrobat Reader, the equations looked better, but were
missing symbols like minuses.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Would it be worthwhile to switch to a
TrueType font?  If so, how do I do this in pdflatex?

Thanks so much.

Regards,

Greg