[pdftex] screenshots into PDF

Allin Cottrell cottrell at wfu.edu
Thu Sep 20 10:18:20 CEST 2001

Sorry, this is not specifically a pdftex question, but this list
seemed a promising source for relevant expertise.

Does anyone know how to preserve the physical dimensions of a screen
window (i.e. in inches or centimeters) when making a screenshot and
putting it into PDF?  If I snag a shot to PNG (using "import", xv or
whatever), then view the PNG on screen it appears exactly the same
size as the original window, but when it's included in a PDF file it
appears larger (and overrruns the margins).  I'm puzzled, because the
screen resolution is 72x72 and my understanding is that that's also
the default resolution for PNGs saved by, e.g., import.

Of course I can shrink the graphic but then it looks horrible
(particularly if there's text in the window in question).

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics