[pdftex] pdflatex/epstopdf questions

Richard Sperling rsperling at boo.net
Mon Sep 10 12:21:15 CEST 2001

At 04:27 PM 9/10/2001 +0200, you wrote:
>On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, Richard Sperling wrote:
>
> > I'm having some trouble with pdflatex 1.00a. I run MikTeX 2.1 with WinEDT
> > 5.2 on Windows 2000 service pack 1. There are [three] \includegraphics
> > declarations in my .tex document. The graphics are eps files named
> > fig1.eps, fig2.eps, and fig3.eps.  I'm trying to use the epstopdf package
> > written by Heiko Oberdiek to do the graphics conversion. The document
> > preamble contains:
> >
> > \usepackage[pdftex]{graphicx}
> > \usepackage{epstopdf}
> >
> > When I try to compile the .tex file using pdflatex I get the following
> > sequence of errors:
> >
> > Error: May not be a PDF file (continuing anyway)
> > Error (0): PDF file is damaged - attempting to reconstruct xref
> > table...
> > [...]
> > Error: pdflatex (file fig1.pdf): xpdf: reading PDF image failed
>
>epstopdf.sty is only an unimportant wrapper for an epstopdf call.
>Therefore the conversion should be done manually to debug errors:
>   epstopdf fig1.eps
>Does it work, is the result fig1.pdf ok? Can it be displayed
>by AR or GS? Which GS version do you use? ...

Yes, running epstopdf.exe directly on the files fig1.eps, fig2.eps, and
fig3.eps produces pdf files that are ok and that I am able to view using
both version 5.0 of Acrobat and version 4.0 of GSView. Note that I have
version 7.0 of AFPL Ghostscript dated 2001-04-08.

>If fig1.pdf is ok, try a minimal example file:
>   \documentclass{article}
>   \usepackage[pdftex]{graphicx}
>   \begin{document}
>   \includegraphics{fig1.pdf}
>   \end{document}
>Are here error messages? ...

No error messages. This test file produced a good pdf file. I don't think
the problem I'm experiencing has anything to do with WinEDT either since
the problems also occurred when I bypassed WinEDT and ran pdflatex
-shell-escape [filename] from the command line.

Richard