[pdftex] pdflatex/epstopdf questions

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at ruf.uni-freiburg.de
Wed Sep 12 15:26:46 CEST 2001

On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, Richard Sperling wrote:

> > > Error: May not be a PDF file (continuing anyway)
> > > Error (0): PDF file is damaged - attempting to reconstruct xref
> > > table...
> > > [...]
> > > Error: pdflatex (file fig1.pdf): xpdf: reading PDF image failed
> >
> >epstopdf.sty is only an unimportant wrapper for an epstopdf call.
> >Therefore the conversion should be done manually to debug errors:
> >   epstopdf fig1.eps
> >Does it work, is the result fig1.pdf ok? Can it be displayed
> >by AR or GS? Which GS version do you use? ...
>
> Yes, running epstopdf.exe directly on the files fig1.eps, fig2.eps, and
> fig3.eps produces pdf files that are ok and that I am able to view using
> both version 5.0 of Acrobat and version 4.0 of GSView. Note that I have
> version 7.0 of AFPL Ghostscript dated 2001-04-08.

There are differnt versions of epstopdf, perhaps you can
try the perl script.

But I assume, that the cause is Windows. It looks like
the child process is not finished, when pdfTeX gets the
control again. So it tries to read a pdf file that is not
yet written in total.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>