[pdftex] Harlequin RIP 5.3 and PDFTeX

Jeffrey McArthur jeffmcarthur at home.com
Wed Oct 10 02:00:26 CEST 2001

On Sun, 7 Oct 2001 23:32:34 -0400 (EDT), you wrote:

>If the PDF file is viewable and printable by Acrobat (the reference
>implmentation for the PDF spec), the problem is most likely due to the RIP, not
>the PDF file or pdftex.

I remember this argument.  Back in the old days of PDFTeX, say around
version 12, I created a PDF file that would view in Acrobat and print to any
non-postscript printer.  But Acrobat would create a PostScript file that
could not be distilled.  If I remember, even Ghostscript could not create a
Postscript file from the PDF, but it could still view it.  This was because
I was imbedding PDF files inside of PDF files.  In that case, there was a
bug in PDFTeX.

Based on past experince with PDFTeX, just because I can view it in Acrobat,
and can print it to some printers, that does not mean that the PDF is
"good".