[pdftex] Re: filedescriptor leak in pdftex 14h

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Tue May 15 16:27:31 CEST 2001

Today Tom Kacvinsky wrote:

 | Also, if you can get hold of purify and link pdftex with purify, you can catch
 | where the fd leaks are happening.  purify is *great* tool, but it costs a bit...
 | One can get a free 15 day demo, though, so that should be sufficient for
 | tracking the bug down.

I found the problem ... I have a set of index pages with 36 images
per page ... I left the page breaking to pdftex. Pdftex keeps all
the filedescriptors for included images open until the page gets
shipped. All images of the whole index (240) were
entered as one paragraph. Thus the pages could only be shipped
after all the data was read. I now added a \pagebreak after
every 36 images, which makes pdftex ship the page immediately.

So the only thing that remains is, that pdftex might want to die in
a more gracefull manner than just emitting 'too many open files'

cheers
tobi