[pdftex] Redundant objects: patch available

Andreas Matthias amat at kabsi.at
Fri May 4 14:08:38 CEST 2001

From: "Otfried Cheong" <otfried at cs.uu.nl>

> As promised earlier, I've made a patch for pdftex 14h which stops it
> from creating redundant objects when multiple pages are included from
> an external PDF file.  The patch is at
>
>    http://www.cs.uu.nl/~otfried/Pdftex/patch14h.tar.gz

Hey, this is marvelous. I have just compiled it and did a few
tests. As one example I included the whole Adobe PDF Reference:

\documentclass[a4paper]{article}
\usepackage{pdfpages}
\begin{document}
\includepdf[pages=1-696]{PDFRef.pdf}
\end{document}

The file size of the pdf file (test-14h.pdf) created with pdftex 0.14h
was out of question.
The file (test-14hpatch.pdf) created with the Ofrieds patch is even
smaller than the pdf file from Adobe. Seems like Adobe has some
duplicated resources in their files. Now pdftex is first :-)

-rwxrwxr-x    1 andreas  andreas   4310705 May  4 11:40 PDFRef.pdf
-rw-rw-r--    1 andreas  andreas   3446268 May  4 12:22 test-14hpatch.pdf
-rw-rw-r--    1 andreas  andreas  43566775 May  4 11:45 test-14h.pdf

Another surprise: The running time also decreases a lot with
Otfrieds patch.

# time pdflatex test.tex

14h:       2m58.318s
14hpatch:  0m19.447s