[pdftex] Redundant objects: patch available

Otfried Cheong otfried at cs.uu.nl
Thu May 3 17:36:13 CEST 2001

As promised earlier, I've made a patch for pdftex 14h which stops it
from creating redundant objects when multiple pages are included from
an external PDF file.  The patch is at

   http://www.cs.uu.nl/~otfried/Pdftex/patch14h.tar.gz

I also fixed a few small bugs that I noticed while working on the
code, and stopped pdftex from reading the undocumented configuration
file $HOME/.xpdfrc.

While I may have introduced new bugs, these should be nicely
localized, as I have practically modified only one file.  If you find
any bugs, please report them to me.

For completeness, the README is attached below.

Best wishes,
  Ofried

This is a small patch for pdftex-14h (from 20010417).  It fixes a
problem with including multiple pages from an external PDF file.
Without this patch, the sequence:

	\includegraphics[page=1]{a.pdf}
	\includegraphics[page=2]{a.pdf}
	\includegraphics[page=3]{a.pdf}

will include the PDF resources used by pages 1 to 3 in file "a.pdf"
once for each page that uses them --- and therefore more than once if
resources are shared by pages.

Applying this patch fixes the problem.

At the same time it removes a hidden dependence on $HOME/.xpdfrc, and
fixes another small bug in the PDF embedding code (see below).

To apply it, replace the files "image.h", "writeimg.c", and
"pdftoepdf.cc" in "src/texk/web2c/pdftexdir" of pdftex-14h by these
patched versions, and compile normally.

Please report bugs to Otfried Cheong <otfried at cs.uu.nl>.

Fixed bugs:

  * Dependence on $HOME/.xpdfrc

  * If page resources contained non-font resources where a value was
    not an indirect reference, it wasn't copied correctly.

  * InObj and UsedEncoding were created with new InObj[1] but deleted
    with delete.