[pdftex] How to produce individual pdf chapters...

Timothy Murphy tim at maths.tcd.ie
Thu Mar 15 18:33:55 CET 2001

On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 03:36:39PM +0000, Jaime E . Villate wrote:

> >     Is it possible from a main file (with the several
> > \include{chapter1}...)
> > to obtain separate chapters in individual pdf files when you compile
> > with pdflatex?.
> Sure, that's a LaTeX, rather than pdflatex issue. I do it this way:
>
> typein[\chaps]{Which sections (or all)?}
> \ifthenelse{\equal{\chaps}{all}}{}{\includeonly{\chaps}}
>
> \begin{document}
> \include{chap1}
> \include{chap2}
> \include{chap3}
>
> when I process the file with pdflatex, I answer to the prompt "\chaps=" with

(1) There is a package "askinclude" which does what you suggest,
and which I find saves a lot of time.

(2) I think you misunderstood the question.
As I understood it, the questioner was asking for a method
of producing each of the chapters in a separate PDF file.
Certainly one could do that by the process above,
but you would have to repeat it n times,
where n = no of chapters.

I'd quite like what the questioner asks,
but with the addition of a table of contents
(in PDF or HTML?)
which points to the different chapters.