[pdftex] Type1-font Helvetica

Dok, D. van d.vandok at ecn.nl
Wed Mar 7 09:27:56 CET 2001

Helvetica is one of the 35 or so standard fonts that are built-in to acrobat
reader and all pdf/postscript interpreters, such as ghostview and PostScript
printers. So pdfTeX does the right thing to not include it with the PDF
file. I don't know why dvips behaves otherwise.

I've encountered funny things with standard fonts myself: when I print a
document typeset in Times Roman, I notice slight differences between the
printed result (on a PostScript printer) and within Acrobat Reader. Notably
the pilcrow sign is solid on screen, but hollow on the printer.

Dennis van Dok