[pdftex] Image transparency

Prof Brian D Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jun 21 10:31:16 CEST 2001

On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, Hans Hagen wrote:

> At 08:45 PM 6/20/01 +0100, Prof Brian D Ripley wrote:
>
> >This is the pdftex group, and png is the bitmapped image format that pdftex
> >supports best.  It does not support gif.  What have `The major browsers'
> >got to do with it?  They do not display pdf at all!
>
> they do kind of, since the plug in model allows them to display pdf; on

Yes, I know full well that they can load another application to view pdf
(even on real operating systems), but then they could do that to view png
too. What I wrote is I believe accurate.

I nearly said that I thought the advice was outdated: Netscape 4.7, 6.01 and
IE5.5 seem fine with all my png images.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk