[pdftex] Image transparency

Mark A. Wicks mwicks at kettering.edu
Wed Jun 20 16:49:29 CEST 2001

On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Wendy McKay wrote:

> Why is everybody trying to use png?
>
> Here is a note from an instructor at lynda.com
> on Web Design Graphics
>
> "The major browsers don't treat png
> consistently, so we recommend not using them for now. ...
> I'd suggest reoptimizing as either jpegs
> or gifs from the source files."

   That quote is irrelevant since a browser isn't involved here.
The real question is what does pdftex provide better support for?

> What is wrong with jpegs or gifs?

   jpegs - optimized for photographs with lossy compression
   gifs  - proprietary, IP issues, encumbered.

  Mark A. Wicks                                mwicks at kettering.edu
  ECE Department, Kettering University         Voice: (810) 762-7992
  1700 West Third Ave, Flint, MI 48504-4898    Fax:   (810) 762-9830