[pdftex] Image transparency

Prof Brian D Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jun 20 21:45:27 CEST 2001

On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Wendy McKay wrote:

> Why is everybody trying to use png?
>
> Here is a note from an instructor at lynda.com
> on Web Design Graphics
>
> "The major browsers don't treat png
> consistently, so we recommend not using them for now. ...
> I'd suggest reoptimizing as either jpegs
> or gifs from the source files."
>
> 	May 2001.
>
> What is wrong with jpegs or gifs?

gifs: patent issues.
jpeg: blurring and artefacts if used on line drawings or block colour
  diagrams.

This is the pdftex group, and png is the bitmapped image format that pdftex
supports best.  It does not support gif.  What have `The major browsers'
got to do with it?  They do not display pdf at all!

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk