[pdftex] Patch for pdftex for subsetted font printing problem

Tom Kacvinsky tjk at ams.org
Mon Jun 18 23:38:49 CEST 2001

Hi Mark,

I meant to write you about this whole morass to make sure that dvipdfm
didn't "suffer" from the same problem.

Despite the published specification, I have been told that rand is a
supported Type 1 operator. :(

I didn't say it was impossible to take into account such things as div, nor
was I trying to give the impression that it was impossible to get pdftex to
renumber charstrings.  I was trying to get at the fact it would take more
time and care than I am able to expend right now, esp. with the possibilty
of calculated subr numbers.  I am sure you know the feeling.

I guess you are right.  Perhaps the best thing to do is to not subset subrs.

No, I don't think seac can be used random arguments, unless one is really
crafty and gets operans right (remeber tht there are some strict rules on
what the operands to seac mean, like certains have to match, etc...). I do
not think this likely.

No, Adobe is not reccommending that we not subset subrs.  They were
pointing out some pitfalls of subsetting subrs, and where in the Type 1
spec it says to avoid gaps in the Subrs array.  That tidbit is in the
section on ATM compatibilty, not of much use for PS, which is more general
than ATM.

Tom