[pdftex] TeX newbie

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Thu Jul 26 00:00:15 CEST 2001

Note: please do not mail the pdftex list with general TeX
questions. This is about pdftex

 > 1. I have particurally problems with fonts sizes a types. When I type
 > for instance \magstep 5 so I'll get in output "2448" before my text, but
can you give an example of what you are are doing

 > nothing has changed. Should I customize something or  do I omit
 > something? How to change to different font except \tt \it \bf and so on?
 > Where are fonts listed?
unless you really know what you are doing, I'd advise you to look at
the LaTeX or Context macro packages, where all this work is done for
you

 > 2. How could I get in output this letter "ů" also "u" with ringlet
 > above. Is it possible to typeset in arabi, cyrilic, armenian and so on?
 > What has to be chnanged?
this is a big subject, I am afraid. the answer is yes, but in plain
TeX it is not much fun

yes, look at www.tug.org

 > How do I change colour of output text? Is it possible to insert pictures
 > (from files)?

these are covered in LaTeX and Context. It is not a standard feature
of TeX

sebastian rahtz