[pdftex] protuding chars

Juergen Bausa jba at lfpt.RWTH-Aachen.DE
Mon Jan 29 14:22:02 CET 2001

Is this the pdftex mailing list? I hope so, if not please forward this
message to the list.

I use pdfLaTeX, Version 3.14159-14e-released-20000217 (MiKTeX 1.20e
(Snapshot build 187)) to create documents with prtuding chars. However,
I found out that the hyphen is only protuding, when it is genearated by
the automatic hyphenation algorithm, not if I type it in directly.
If I type the hyphen directly, the value of rpcode is not used.

Here is a small example. After pdflatexing it will look like:

  This is a test with a verylongword. This is a test with a very-
veryverylongword.  This is  a test  with a veryveryveryverylong-
word. This is a test with a veryveryverylongword. This is a test
with a veryveryverylongword.

Only the first hyphen does what it schould.

I checked the resulting dvi and found out that both hyphens use char 45,
as they should.

Any Idea?

Juergen

\documentclass{article}

\rpcode`-= 700
\pdfprotrudechars=2
\setlength{\textwidth}{10 cm}

\begin{document}

This is a test with a verylongword.
This is a test with a very\-veryverylongword.
This is a test with a veryveryveryverylong- word.
This is a test with a veryveryverylongword.
This is a test with a veryveryverylongword.

\end{document}