[pdftex] thumbpdf and page orientation

Aiko Huckauf Aiko.Huckauf at epost.de
Sat Jan 27 14:32:26 CET 2001

I use pdftex 0.14d and thumbpdf 2.7 under Win98. Within my document
most pages are in portrait orientation, but some drawings must be
set in landscape orientation.

To get the landscape orientation for the few pages where I want to
have this format, I use something like the following:

\begin{landscape}
\begin{figure}[htbp]
\thispagestyle{plain}
 \centering
 \includegraphics*[viewport=36 35 559 376,height=0.927\textwidth]
                  {Spectrometer_1.pdf}
  \caption{Drawing of the Spectrometer}
  \label{Pic:Spectrometer_1}
\end{figure}
\end{landscape}
\clearpage
\newpage

The pdf-file created by pdftex in this way looks good (with Adobe
Acrobat Reader 4.05): The portrait pages are shown in portrait
orientation, and the landscape pages in landscape orientation.

Now I create the thumbnails: I use thumbpdf.bat (created from
thumbpdf.pl with ActivePerl for Win32 5.6.0.623), and afterwards I
rerun pdftex. Now I have the thumbnails in my pdf-file, indeed,
but the following problem occurs:

The page orientation is all right (i. e. portrait) up to the first
landscape page. From this page on _all_ following pages are shown in
landscape orientation, i. e. all portrait pages are rotated clockwise
by 90 degrees.

Does anybody have any idea how to get the thumbnails _and_ the correct
page orientation? Is it perhaps a problem of the Ghostscript settings?
I use Aladdin Ghostscript 6.50.

Grateful thanks for any hint!

Aiko Huckauf