[pdftex] 2 questions

Petr Sojka sojka at informatics.muni.cz
Wed Dec 12 18:55:59 CET 2001

On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 03:21:27PM +0000, David Carlisle wrote:

>    >  * the use of ToUnicode in pdftex has been slightly outlined here, has
>    >there been any actual work in this area? Is there any chance that it
>    >could be possible one day to use AE or ZE fonts and have \'e be
>    >registered as é in the PDF ?
>
>    sure, it's supported in context for some time already -)
>
> What exactly needs to be done here? \'e (if using T1, or LY1) encoding
> has always ended up in the pdf as é hasn't it? Is some other mapping
> needed for unicode support (I haven't looked at more recent pdf specs, I
> admit)

To fully support any language having characters outside
AdobeStandard encoding(s), one has to set ToUnicode CMap font
resource (see section 5.9 of
http://partners.adobe.com/asn/developer/acrosdk/docs/filefmtspecs/PDFReference.pdf).

Providing CMaps ensures operations as searching, indexing, and
exporting of text to other applications.
ToUnicode entry is in PDF since 1.2 (Acrobat 3).

For details see http://partners.adobe.com/asn/developer/pdfs/tn/5411.ToUnicode.pdf (Adobe Technical Note #5411 ToUnicode Mapping File
Tutorial).

> David
--ps