[pdftex] install pdftex 0.14h binary failed, please help.
lupei at usc.edu
Thu Apr 19 23:08:48 CEST 2001
I want to update pdftex on my RH7.0 PC (which was installed 14d by
redhat). I did as follows:
1) download file from ftp.muni.cz
2) unzip it and copy pdftex.pool, pdfetex.pool to
/usr/share/texmf/web2c, copy those excutables to /usr/bin
3) in web2c, run texconfig init. I found that it only regenerated
several other *.fmt files but not pdf*.fmt. So when I tried to run
"pdflatex ...", I got error complaining wrong format.
4) I used followings to regenerate format files:
pdftex -ini -fmt=pdftex plain \dump
pdftex -ini -fmt=pdflatex latex.ltx
pdfetex -ini -efmt=pdfetex plain \dump
pdfetex -ini -efmt=pdfelatex latex.ltx
all worked fine.
5) now run "pdftex -version", I got:
pdfTeX (Web2C 22.214.171.124) 3.14159-0.14h-released-20010417
kpathsea version 126.96.36.199
Copyright (C) 1999 Han The Thanh, Petr Sojka, and Jiri Zlatuska.
6) but when I try to compile a tex file by "pdflatex aaa.tex", I got
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159-14h-released-20010417 (Web2C 188.8.131.52)
Error: pdflatex (file pdftex.cfg): cannot open config file
I find that if I copy the file
/usr/share/texmf/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg to the current directory, the
above works. I tried to set the TEXPSHEADERS to point that directory, it
I am stuck here. can anyone please help me? thanks alot.
More information about the pdftex