[pdftex] Re: font validator?

S2P development taco.hoekwater at wkap.nl
Tue Dec 12 08:52:00 CET 2000

Han The Thanh wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> does anyone know of a type1 and/or truetype font validator?

Depends on what you consider 'valid', I think. For Type1 and
TrueType alike: if they are supposed to work with the operating
system (ATM or the TTF microsoft rasterizer), then those
are in fact the validating programs. Esp. true for ATM, which has
many more constraints on Type1 fonts than the official spec.

If they are supposed to print/subset correctly, try to print
or subset them, if it works they are valid ... the specs are
fairly useless, in both cases I don't know of *any* single program
that interprets the whole spec and nothing but the spec.

It's not too hard to come up with a Type1 validator according
to Adobe's Type1 book (and/or the ATM compatibility supplement),
but you'll soon discover that not even ATM is ATM-compatible ;)

Greetings, Taco