[omega] Question about the paper published in EuroTeX 2005

Antonio Regidor García a_regidor at yahoo.es
Sun Mar 13 06:13:57 CET 2005

--- Yannis Haralambous <yannis.haralambous at enst-bretagne.fr> wrote:
> > I would call "k-\nk" a variant glyph for "ck", which turns to be what
> > textemes are made for. One point would be to decide if "ck" have to be  a
> > character or several, but I think it's not that important: as you
> > showed in the paper and during the conference, a string of characters can have
> > variant representations as string of glyphs, and not necessarily with a
> > one to one mapping.
>
>  From the point of view of characters everything is clear: "ck" is a
> string of *two* characters, there
> is absolutely no doubt on that.
>
> The question is: what is the status of the "k" which replaces "c"?
>
> All I want to say is that this case is different from the one of glyph
> variants (like the many
> "d" in Zapfino). The transformation c->k looks more like a character
> transformation. And still
> when we search or index the text we don't want to find "k-k" and that's
> typically what we do
> when we have a glyph transformation...
>
> [Not to mention another particularity of the `ck' in German: like `ch',
> it is in fact a ligature, represented
> most of the times by additional (negative) kerning between the glyphs]

Well, I think that when writing text, you translate the words in your head to list of textemes.
You write the string of textemes "backen" and Omega stores it in memory and it can do searches,
etc. When Omega send the text to the screen or the printer, it translate it to another string of
textemes, according to paper size, etc., and it becames "bak\nken", but this is only for creating
images, not for searching, nor speech synthesis, etc. It's like .tex and .dvi files. Texteme
strings can represent both kinds of text, graphical and non-graphical. Non-graphical texteme
strings have less properties than their graphical translation, but anyway they are texteme
strings. Also, there is not only 2 kinds of strings, of course, you can do multiple translations
and use only the properties you need (you can transform a regular string in a string without case
nor face information, etc.).

Antonio