[omega] Re: Antonio

Yannis Haralambous yannis.haralambous at enst-bretagne.fr
Sat Mar 12 10:33:04 CET 2005

> Maybe putting that complex structure in the character field or in the
> properties fields doesn't matter too much. Glyphs are very different
> from characters and properties. They are images, not abstract
> information. But the line between characters and properties is not so
> clear. So maybe "character" is only an alias for the "UnicodeCodePoint"
> property. Correct me if I'm wrong.

don't forget that OTPs and fonts act on characters or on glyphs (or on
properties). It is easier to act on something simple
so that we can write patterns and regular expressions. I think that we
should start experimenting with only simple
properties (name = single value), and switch to complex properties only
if we find it absolutely necessary.

> What about "texon"? (like proton, neutron, ...)

I will add it to the list of candidates

> And "pangram"? It's a more general and comprehensive concept than that
> character or glyph (you can do more, new things whit it, and you can
> represent symbols that cannot be represented before, maybe all the
> symbols you can imagine).

a pangram is a sentence using all letters of a given alphabet:
Jovenzuelo empozoñado de whisky, ¡qué figurota exhibes!

| Yannis Haralambous, Ph.D.      yannis.haralambous at enst-bretagne.fr |
| Directeur d'Études                   http://omega.enstb.org/yannis |
|                                          Tel. +33 (0)2.29.00.14.27 |
|                                          Fax  +33 (0)2.29.00.12.82 |
| Département Informatique                                           |
| École Nationale Supérieure des Télécommunications de Bretagne      |
| Technopôle de Brest Iroise, CS 83818, 29238 Brest CEDEX 3, France  |
                          ...pour distinguer l'extérieur d'un aquarium,
                                         mieux vaut n'être pas poisson

                         ...the ball I threw while playing in the park
                                        has not yet reached the ground