[metapost] Building libmplib.so

Shriramana Sharma samjnaa at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 12:02:51 CEST 2012

Well I couldn't wait until Taco/Hans make it possible to make a shared
lib out of the canonical sources, so I produced the attached shortcut.

Steps:

1) Download the official metapost-1.212.tar.gz and uncompress it
wherever you want. (Obviously: skip if already done.)

2) Download the attached tarball and uncompress it in the root of the
official source tree -- don't worry it won't overwrite any existing
files -- it just creates a sub-tree sharedlib and a script
buildsharedlib.sh

3) Build the source tree using the official ./build.sh. (Again: skip
if already done.)

4) *Then* execute ./buildsharedlib.sh

5) If all goes well then libmplib.so will be located at
sharedlib/web2c/libmplib.so.

6) Do "sudo cp -i sharedlib/web2c/libmplib.so /usr/lib/" to make it
available to the system at general. (The "-i" should ask you if you
want to overwrite a file of that name if one already exists --
unlikely unless you are doing this procedure a second time.) Warning:
Messing with the contents of /usr/lib can lead to system problems.
Don't do this unless you're sure what you're doing.

But of course this is *not* the ideal way to produce shared libs (as
you can see by examining the contents of my tarball) so I still do
request the Taco/Hans (anyone else) to make it possible in the
official build system.

BTW I should note that this includes Taco's fixkpse workaround to apps
linking to MPLib expecting some kpse functions (which will hopefully
be fixed soon).

--
Shriramana Sharma