[metapost] Metapost and fonts

Geoff Russell geoffrey.russell at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 22:38:48 CET 2007

Hi Taco,

On 2/13/07, Taco Hoekwater <taco at elvenkind.com> wrote:
> Hi again Geoff,
>
> Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> >
> > The problem is caused by mptopdf's assumption that the files
> > it has to convert are created by TeX, so there must be a tfm
> > file present. Whether this can be solved, I do not know.
>
> I just reread that, and realized that it does not make much
> sense. I should have waited a bit longer before posting, sorry.
>
> What I meant to say was: mptopdf assumes that the text labels
> inside the figure are the results of btex ... etex processing
> through TeX, as opposed to direct double-quote infont labels.
> It follows that it assumes that there is a tfm file for each
> of the used fonts, and that is the problem.

Thanks,  now I understand what is happening.

What I've done for the moment is allow users of R to specify font names using
Adobe font names eg "Times-BoldItalic", I convert these into the short
ptm... names in the metapost code I output.  This is fine for the "builtin"
adobe fonts but isn't extensible to arbitrary fonts.  That will require more
thought.

Cheers,
Geoff Russell