local file question

Herbert Schulz herbs2 at mac.com
Mon Oct 23 18:42:52 CEST 2023

> On Oct 23, 2023, at 8:39 AM, Tom Sgouros <tsgouros at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Herb:
>
> By "my files" I mean the packages and fonts I've written and accumulated over the past thirty years of using LaTeX. Yes, it seems kind of improbable to me, too.
>
> The problem with a link is that by the next time I upgrade or change machines, I'll forget what it's doing there. I was hoping that someone here would have some insight into how the "~" comes to have a different meaning inside the texlive texmf.cnf than it does in the shell. Why is one "/Users/tom" and the other is "/Users/tom/Library" and can I change that?
>
> Thanks,
>
>  -Tom
>
> On Mon, Oct 23, 2023 at 8:54 AM Herbert Schulz <herbs2 at mac.com> wrote:
>

> > On Oct 22, 2023, at 10:22 PM, Tom Sgouros <tsgouros at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello all:
> >
> > I recently installed TexLive 2023 on my Mac (Macos13.2), and it seems like variables like "TEXMFHOME = ~/texmf" defined in the system-wide texmf.cnf resolve to /Users/tom/Library/texmf instead of "Users/tom/texmf". How can I make them resolve to where my files are?
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> >  -Tom
>
> Howdy,
>
> What do you mean by `my files'? The personal tree is really meant for peersonal packages and possibly personal fonts. You can put your source files anywhere.
>
> One thing you can do is to make a symbolic link in ~/Library to your files: run
>
> ln -s ~/texmf ~/Library/texmf
>
> which will produce a small file that points to your files.
>
> There are other things you can do but I suggest this is the simplest.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> herbs2 at mac.com

Howdy,

It's possible to override the default. For the TeX Live installed by MacTeX there is a file in the root of the yearly distribution (/usr/local/texlive/2023/ for TeX Live 2023) called texmf.cnf that contains overrides including

TEXMFHOME = ~/Library/texmf

and you could change that. Note: those files are owned by root so you need to use `sudo` when editing the file.

HOWEVER, I don't recommend doing that because if you update to next year's TeX Live the override file will be back to the changes used by MacTeX and I can almost guarantee the change will be forgotten and that happens more often than changing computers, etc.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
herbs2 at mac.com