[OS X TeX] TeXLive 2022 manpath issue on mac

Richard Koch koch at uoregon.edu
Mon Sep 26 15:47:34 CEST 2022

Douglas Stetner,

This is an interesting report. According to "man makewhatis", this utility searches directories for unformatted man pages and collects the results to be used by whatis and apropos.  If called without a list of directories, it searches MANPATH if set, and otherwise /usr/share/man.

This bug has never been reported before, so I suspect few people use makewhatis.

Note that /Library/TeX/texbin/man is a symbolic link to /usr/local/texlive/2022/texmf-dist/doc/man. Presumably the utility will work if it is pointed at this directory (although I didn't try it).

The main reason I'm writing is to report that I don't intend to work on this issue. I have too many other things on my plate. So if it interests a reader, have at it. If a solution is found that is easy to implement and breaks nothing else, I'll put it in MacTeX-2023.

Richard Koch

TeX FAQ: https://www.tug.org/mactex/faq/index.html