[OS X TeX] Typography problem

Richard Seguin riseguin at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 31 21:02:50 CEST 2022

Jonathan,

Thanks for this suggestion. Writing

\begin{theorem}
If\/ $\mathscr{W} \in M$ and if\/ $W \in \mathcal{V}$
\end{theorem}

rather than

\begin{theorem}
If $\mathscr{W} \in M$ and if $W \in \mathcal{V}$
\end{theorem}

works extremely well, for both Utopia and Minion fonts, and better than just adding something like a \thinspace after the f.

However, this still requires a manual adjustment in each instance. I fully support the questioner’s rant in https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/19298/contradiction-in-a-texbook-example:

> But as TeX is all about clean separation of content from the presentation, why am I required to do such manual typographical adjustments when using fonts such as Computer Modern?
> Shouldn't TeX do the adjustment automatically when it meets a certain combination of (its own) fonts and characters? To me this feels like Knuth is violating his own principle of messing with manual formatting as little as possible. If I have misunderstood the need for typing \/ all the time, please enlighten me.

Manual adjustments in my case look daunting. BBEdit tells me that there are 1915 instances of “f $” in that 200 page document, 1307 of which come from “of $” and 533 of which come from “if $”. Unfortunately, I’m not knowledgeable enough to search for these strings only within theorem environments. I don’t know how to do that, let alone do a search and replace like “f $” —> “f\/ $” only within theorem environments. Since the \/ seems to have no effect unless the “f $” is within a theorem environment, I suppose I could do a search and replace on all 1915 instances of “f $”, but that could look a little messy in the .tex code.

And there may be letters other than f that are problematical (depending on the font), but it appears that f seems to be by far the worst culprit.

Richard