[OS X TeX] macOS Monterey - broken BBEdit/Skim integration scripts

Adam R. Maxwell via MacOSX-TeX macosx-tex at email.esm.psu.edu
Sun Jul 31 23:12:36 CEST 2022

> On Jul 31, 2022, at 10:49 , Richard Seguin <riseguin at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> The scripts are an interdependent mix of AppleScript and Python scripts. Apparently in 12.3, Apple removed Python 2 leaving the more secure Python 3, and the removal of Python 2 broke everything. On attempting to typeset I would get the following error message:

Correction: Apple never shipped Python 3, so there is no longer any version of Python shipped with OS X. Your easy button here is to install Python 2 using the installer package here:

https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-2718/ <https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-2718/>

Caveats about Python 2 being unmaintained, less secure, etc apply, and migrating to Python 3 is probably a good idea. You can also find a binary installer for Python 3 at python.org <http://python.org/>. Apple ships a lobotomized Python 3 with its developer tools, but don't rely on it for general usage.

Adam