[OS X TeX] pdf viewers: pop-ups at hyperref links

Roussanka Loukanova rl.stpuu at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 22:19:55 CEST 2022

Hi Richard,

Sorry for answering with  this delay.

On Mon, Jul 11, 2022 at 1:51 AM Richard Seguin <riseguin at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Hello Roussanka,
>
> I’ve just done a little more investigation. If I’m in a 200 page document, I always have to wait until the pop-up appears before I command-click; otherwise I get the tiny mutant window. If I’m in a 50 page document, I can often command-click just before the time when the pop-up would appear and get the second window in the form I want. If I command-click immediately after hovering over the link with the cursor, I get the tiny mutant window.

I've tried it with a relatively large document of 152 pages. The
cmd+click quickly opens the side windows, without any need to wait for
the small pop-up. The number of the pages doesn't matter, e.g.,
cmd+click by hovering over the hyperlink on p.1 opens the pdf, in a
small side window, with about 7 lines, on the right spot on p.152.

> I wonder if this is a timing issue — for example, maybe something must happen in the code between the time when you hover over the link and you command-click in order for it to work correctly.
> I have an older Mac Mini with a 3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7 and a not very fast GPU; maybe the machine is just too slow. It takes a second or two just for the pop-up to appear in both Skim and TeXShop.

If there is such a time gap, it seems to me that it is in the PDFKit
(or whatever the software was called), not in the hyperlinks, nor in
Skim (TexShop). It may be that on your Mac it takes that time gap to
open the pdf of 200 (50) pages. The jump to the target spot shouldn't
be taking much if any time.

My MacBook Air is also very slow, but probably your processr is a
little bit slower for such a specific task.

The software (PDFKit?) shouldn't  be counting per se the number of
pages and going through the pages. I guess, the target locations of
the hyperlinks are computed and assigned to variables during latex-ing
compilation, and available directly for jumps to those locations. We
run latex a couple of times - for assignments of the target locations,
to be available directly.

My MacBook Air is also very slow, but probably yours is a little bit
slower for such specific task.

Dick of TeXShop and Christian of Skim probably know because they use
that software (PDFKit?) for the feature.

But I've found a limited capability of the 2nd side window, despite
that it has the entire pdf. Even if resized to a full page, I see
three limitations (as of now), or may be I do not know how to handle
them:

- I can't bring in  the Toolbar in the secondary window

- none of the items under Tool are active, i.e., I can't make any notes

- the hyperlinks do not work: If I hover the pointer of the cursor
over a link, the pointer turns into the small hand, and nothing
happens with clicks, i.e., there is no jump to the corresponding
hyperlinked locations

That is, it seems that the software (PdfKit?) doesn't have access to
the information about references, nor to the note tools.

Dick and Christian know more, for certain, e.g., after Dick works out
the feature, he may tell us why you get the time gap. Perhaps that is
just for opening the large pdf, on the respective page and line of the
hyperink.

Best Regards,
Roussanka