[OS X TeX] CocoAspell still not working for me

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Jan 25 14:40:54 CET 2022

> On Jan 25, 2022, at 6:28 AM, Themis Matsoukas via MacOSX-TeX <macosx-tex at email.esm.psu.edu> wrote:
>
> A couple irritating inconveniences:
>
> i)  CocoAspell is not fully latex aware. It flags for example the {llc…} in column alignments. This is so annoying that I am now entering the alignments with a space between them, e.g.,  (l l c …}.  I don’t think the user should do the work of the software.

Howdy,

Under the Filters tab of the Spelling pane in System Preferences choose TeX/LaTeX. You can add environments there and [], {}, [√], {√} for [Optional] or {Necessary} Arguments that DON'T GET checked and GET checked respectively. Note: √ is Opt-V with the US Keyboard. From then on Aspell will know what to do.

> ii) Its dictionaries seem incomplete and miss many standard words. For example, “ideality” is flagged wrong when using “English (United States) [w_accents]. As a non-native speaker of English and poor typist I find this frustrating: I can never be sure whether I am making up a non existing word or whether the dictionary is not quite fluent.
>
> Themis

If a word you know is correct is marked misspelled you can add it to the dictionary; Ctl-Click the word and use Learn Spelling in the Contextual Menu.

herbs at wideopenwest.com