[OS X TeX] [External] [External] [External] double page view

Herbert Schulz via MacOSX-TeX macosx-tex at email.esm.psu.edu
Wed Aug 3 15:01:49 CEST 2022

> On Aug 3, 2022, at 6:43 AM, Martin Costabel <costabel at wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>
> I think you still do not understand the bug Zbigniew is seeing (and I am seeing, too, with amsart class):
> In any double page display, whether with DisplayAsBook on or off, and double page or double multipage display option, the current TeXShop displays the two pages in the WRONG ORDER, the earlier page on the right and the later page on the left.
> Thus, with DisplayAsBook set to NO, the first two pages are not displayed as page 1 and page 2, but as page 2 and page 1.
>
> --
> Martin

Howdy,

There are TWO pieces of information that are used to set up Double Page and Double Multi-Page Preview display.

The first determines if the first/cover page is shown separately or are all pages shown Double. This is controlled by the TeXShop directives noted above on a document by document basis. The hidden preferences changes the default value used by TeXShop when it first opens: TeXShop `ships' with DisplayAsBook turned on (YES) so initial single page is turned on.

The second is how the pages are displayed on following two page displays. Is the normal page reading order first the left hand page and then the right hand page (normal for Western language books) or right and then left (normal for, e.g., Hebrew or Arabic). The default value is set in the `Double Page Modes' section on the `Preview' tab of TeXShop->Preferences. You can change the diplay on a document by document basis by using the given TeXShop directives.

Note: if you are using TeXShop and you like the defaults as set (apparently not the case here)change the default value. Single first page and then Double Page Display, Right to Left page sequence (Maybe the as shipped default needs to be changed?) then Change them with the hidden variable for   All Pages Double Displayed (standard Display) and on the Preview tab as discussed above for Flow in the other direction. If you do that use the correct TeXShop directives only in documents that require different behavior.

I usually use Multi-Page display (scrollable single page at a time display but, every once in a while I have a document that looks better with pages side by side so I then temporarily change to Double Multi-Page mode using the Preview->Display Format->Double MultiPage menu item. I have my default set to display all pages side by side when in Multi-Page mode by setting the hidden variable in Terminal using the command

defaults write TeXShop DisplayAsBook NO

so, if I want the first page displayed singly for that document I put the TeXShop directive

% !TEX bookDisplay

near the top of the root source file. I have the default flow direction set in the Preview Pane set to `Pages Flow Left to Right' which is what I usually use so I don't have to do anything in the document unless I'm occasionally writing in a language that is better displayed in a Right to Left Flow in which case I would use the TeXShop directive

% !TEX PageDirectionR2L

near the top of the document.

Most Western language books I'm used to start with a title page on the right followed by a blank page (the back of the title page) on the left and starting material on the right followed by the rest of the book. That is the way bookDisplay and Left to Right display are meant to display. The biggest change from TeXShop 4.76 and later and earlier versions of TeXShop is the wording and setting on the Preview tab of TeXShop->Preferences which you may very well have to change.

Once you have the defaults set the way you wish you only need to use the TeXShop directives to override those defaults for the few documents you may have that need special changes

I hope this is clearer than mud.

herbs2 at mac.com

TeX FAQ: https://www.tug.org/mactex/faq/index.html