[OS X TeX] MacOSX-TeX Digest, Vol 174, Issue 5

Catherine Asaro asaro at pobox.com
Sun Apr 10 22:07:43 CEST 2022

> Message: 3
> Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 11:29:34 -0500
> From: Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com>
> Subject: Re: [OS X TeX] MacOSX-TeX Digest, Vol 174, Issue 4
>
> Where are the files stored? Are they on an external drive or the Cloud? It sounds like you don't have write permissions on that location.
>
> Can you copy a file to your Desktop, open it there and typeset it?
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> herbs at wideopenwest.com

HI, Herb. I don't use the Cloud. I have always used my desktop. I back everything up to a hard drive periodically using time machine.

I realized after reading Bill's message below that I probably have copies if everything on time machine. The strangeness happened this morning after I did my most recent backup to TimeMachine. Before I start messing within anything on the computer or backup drive, I'd like to figure out what's happening so I don't inadvertently do any more damage. Making a time machine backup shouldn't mess with my TexShop applications unless something is corrupted.

Best -- Cat

> Message: 4
> Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 11:41:56 -0500
> From: William Slough <wslough at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [OS X TeX] MacOSX-TeX Digest, Vol 174, Issue 4
>
> Catherine,
>
> Has something recently been changed on your computer? Perhaps a MacOS
> update? Which version of MacOS are you running?
>
> To confirm your collection of files has the content you expect (and not
> empty), can you open a terminal window, move to one of the
> folders/directories  (with an appropriate "cd" command) in question and
> "cat" one of the .tex files? This should at the very least provide some
> reassurance if you can see the content.
>
> It sounds like you are experiencing some type of Unix-style permissions
> problem ... which might be related to a MacOS update you recently performed?
>
> By the way, once you get this problem resolved, you should investigate
> using TimeMachine or some other similar backup mechanism to protect against
> disasters.
>
> Bill

Bill, I'm stupid for panicking. I do use TimeMachine! In fact, this happened just after I backed up my computer. Before I start messing within anything on the computer or backup drive, though, I'd like to figure out what's happening so I don't inadvertently do any more damage. Making a time machine backup shouldn't mess with my TexShop applications.

Best -- Cat