[OS X TeX] How use pdflatex-dev and xelatex-dev with TeXShop

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 18:40:36 CEST 2022

On 5 Apr2022, at 12:02 PM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:

>> On Apr 5, 2022, at 10:28 AM, Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> How should TeXShop (4.70) with TeXLive 2022 (from MacTeX 2022) be configured so as to use pdflatex-dev anc xelatex-dev?
>>
>> It would seem that in TeXShop’s Preferences > Engine > pdfTeX I can change the LaTeX command to:
>>
>> 	pdflatex-dev --file-line-error --synctex=1
>>
>> (1) Is that all? Or alternatives?
>>
>> (2) What about xelatex?
>>

> ...Enclosed are latexmk based engines for using latex-dev, lualatex-dev, pdflatex-dev and xelatex-dev with the obvious names latexmk-dev.engine, lualatexmk-dev.engine, pdflatexmk-dev.engine and xelatexmk-dev.engine.
>
> Place those four engines in ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines and the four auxiliary *rc files in ~/Library/TeXShop/bin/tslatexmk. The engines will then show up in TeXShop after it's re-started.
>
> The naming convention makes it easy to switch from the normal to the dev version by just adding -dev to the engine name in TeXShop's program (or TS-program) directive.
>
> <latexmk based dev engines.zip>

> Herb Schulz
> herbs at wideopenwest.com

I often switch between typesetting with (pdf)latex and pdflatexmk from the TeXShop Typeset drop-down menu, which is MUCH quicker than altering a "!TEX TS-program” directive.

So how do the new latexmk engines fit with just using the Typeset menu choices?

---
Murray Eisenberg		murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Mobile (413)-427-5334
503 King Farm Blvd #101