[OS X TeX] style files

Nitecki, Zbigniew H. Zbigniew.Nitecki at tufts.edu
Tue Mar 2 18:03:45 CET 2021

This is a Mac OS problem involving TeX.
My regular computer (Macbook Pro) had to go in to Apple for a repair, which I am told will take 10-14 days.
I am trying to use a new Macbook Air as a substitute, in particular for a book length project I am in the middle of.
Here is my problem, and I hope someone with appropriate technical knowhow can help me figure out how to navigate the system to solve it.

I have extensive macro files that I use regularly.  I have them in a texmf file In the “hidden” part of my computer.
(That’s how I identify it: to access it, I go to finder with the option key depressed, then “Library” shows up:  inside there is a folder called
texmf, and inside that are subfolders bib and tex;  the latter has my macros as well as some style files I sometimes use.
When I took the computer in to Apple, they told me that I could simply download everything from my backup (an external hard drive via
Time Machine) and indeed when I brought home the Air and plugged it into the hard drive, it seemed to download everything seamlessly.
But when I tried to compile my document, none of my style files could be found.
I went into Library, and found that the one folder which didn’t seem to be backed up was texmf.  It is marked as an alias, and when I try to open it, I get the message
“can’t open because the original can’t be found”.

I realized I (also?) have a copy of the texmf file on Dropbox and that has all the files.
It appears that this is the up-to-date version (I checked one file, and the latest modification was last week).
But I am not sure how to instruct the TeXShop engine to use those files.
When I search for them in Finder, I go Dropbox->texmf->tex->latex->MyMacros and in there are the relevant files.
I need a TeX/Mac-for-Idiots bit of advice.

Zbigniew Nitecki
Department of Mathematics
Tufts University
Medford, MA 02155