[OS X TeX] translating objects in pstricks

Nitecki, Zbigniew H. Zbigniew.Nitecki at tufts.edu
Thu Jul 15 21:08:55 CEST 2021

I designed a small macro to draw a “tear”-shaped curve using \psbezier.  It works as expected.
For simplicity, I wrote it with features related to the coordinate axes.
Then, I tried to create a new macro, “blip”, which gives a translate of this picture to a specified position.

I tried two options (see attached example) .
In the pdf, the lower figure is generated using just the \tear  macro, while the upper one is generated using the \blip macro.
The \blip figure has some extra lines—I suspect they are caused by my use of \pscustom to create the translated picture.
 I followed the example on p. 130 of Herbert Voss’s “Pstricks” (in the English translation).

I thought I could get away with just defining \blip using \tear without a \pscustom  envelope, but if I comment out the \pscustom part like this:
\newcommand{\blip}[5]{%\pscustom{% usage:\blip{A}{B}{a}[b}{c} = \tear{a}{b}{c} moved so (0,0)->(A,B)
\translate(#1,#2)
\tear{#3}{#4}{#5}
% }
}
I get an error message, that \tear is undefined (it is still present in the file, preceding this definition).

Can anyone suggest how I can translate the picture generated by \tear  without introducing the extra lines?  I know this is probably a pretty stupid issue, but I haven’t succeeded in understanding how to
do it from the LaTeX Graphics Companion (there is a complicated example involving creating nodes, etc., surely there is an easier more direct way).

Zbigniew Nitecki
Department of Mathematics
Tufts University
Medford, MA 02155