[OS X TeX] TeX and DVI in beamer problem

Roussanka Loukanova rl.stpuu at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 18:19:07 CET 2021

On Sun, Feb 28, 2021 at 6:06 PM Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com>
wrote:

> > On Feb 28, 2021, at 10:56 AM, Roussanka Loukanova <rl.stpuu at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > Dear Herb,
> >

> > On Sun, Feb 28, 2021 at 2:19 AM Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > First open ~/Library/TeXShop: TeXshop has a menu item, TeXShop->Open
> ~/Library/TeXShop, that will open that folder on the Desktop. Then place
> the two files found in the `For TeXShop/Engines' folder (inside the
> `GhostscriptTransparencyEngines' folder) inside the `Engines' folder. Then
> Open the `bin' folder in ~/Library/TeXShop and place the file in the `For
> TeXShop/bin/tslatexmk' folder into the `tslatexmk' folder found there.
> >
> > I have done these, by following them from Terminal. I'll send you my
> notes-instructions how I did, separately, off the list, for you to check if
> I did OK - I think I did so.
> >
> > Finally, restart TeXShop. You can confirm the two engines,latexTR and
> latexTRmk, are active by clicking on the engines popup menu on the Source
> Window's toolbar.
> >
> > It took me a little bit to figure out which and where is the popup menu.
> The test files, yours and mine, work wonderfully!
> >
> > The typesetting used to work up to some point, perhaps in 2020. I
> recall  that there was s discussion about problems  with gs in his list,
> but I couldn't grasp them, because at that point , it didn't occur to me to
> test these  beamer files.
> >
> > I hope that TeXLive will fix the Ghostscript soon, to have it working
> normally, by default, from Aquamacs too.
> >
> > Thank you very much!
> > Roussanka
> >
> > Good Luck,
> >
> > Herb Schulz
> > herbs at wideopenwest.com
>
> Howdy,
>
> The problem is that version 9.51 and later of ghostscript (gs, ps2pdf)
> treat transparency differently that before so a new option has to be passed
> to ps2pdf to allow transparency.
>
> It's not so simple to update things because one never knows what version
> of ghostscript a person has. Those two engines check the ghostscript
> version and set the proper option. It is more difficult in other systems.

How do I get this working in Aquamacs? There is a preset engine, i.e.,
sequence of  typesetting steps in it:

When a relevant .tex file is open, one has to select from the Aquamacs
menu, the following, so that new option for transparency should be provided
somewhere there:

Aquamacs > Command > TeXing Options > Generate PDF
Aquamacs > Command > TeXing Options > DVI and PDF > dvips + ps2pdf

If you know something, even if just a guess or advice, I'll write to the
Aquamacs developers.
Roussanka

Good Luck,