[OS X TeX] Tabs in TS

Richard Koch koch at uoregon.edu
Sun Feb 28 17:04:21 CET 2021

Folks,

This is a situation when your debugging would be a great help to me. I don't intend to look at this problem for at least a week while you gather data.

Tabs were added to Cocoa by Apple and in most cases work automatically without any code from me. Thus the menu "Window --> Merge All Windows" was added by Apple (it isn't in the Interface Builder Menu file), and using + to add a new tab is strictly from Apple.

So if clicking on these tabs sometimes results in an inconsistency between the Window Title and the selected tab, that is an Apple problem. In that case, I don't intend to work around it, since that inevitably creates more problems.

But TeXShop 4.59 also contains one new feature which affects tabs. It occurs when you use Sync to synchronize from the Preview window to the Source Window. If a project has include files and the Sync requires opening a new source file, that file will open as a tab. There is definitely code in TeXShop to do that.

This code runs even if you don't use include files, in the sense that whenever you use Sync, the new code runs. It is possible that there is a problem in the new code (which has just a couple of lines of code). In the case, if you watch carefully, you might discover that the bug only occurs after (maybe several steps after) you used Sync.

It is possible to turn off this new Sync code in TeXShop Preferences. In the typesetting tab, at bottom right, unclick "Open as Tab in Root Window."

To repeat, this feature is advertised as applying to projects with a root window and included source windows, but actually the line of code would run in any document when you sync.

So I'd be particularly interested in reports from people who use tabs and did so before 4.59, and can reproduce the problem as done by Herb. Does turning off this preference fix the problem. Or does it occur regardless of this preference.

If turning off the preference has no effect, there's nothing I can do.

If turning off the preference fixes things, then it's on my shoulder.

Dick Koch