[OS X TeX] three issues

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Tue Feb 16 00:45:41 CET 2021

Hi Zbigniew,

On 16 Feb 2021, at 9:01 am, Nitecki, Zbigniew H. <Zbigniew.Nitecki at tufts.edu<mailto:Zbigniew.Nitecki at tufts.edu>> wrote:

Thanks to Ross, Luis and Themis for your helpful comments.
1. Interesting that babel is the culprit with the renaming of chapters as “lectures”;  Ross’s suggestion (to use \AtBeginDocument) worked beautifuly to override it.
3. I looked closely at the frontmatter/mainmatter information in the memoir manual—I was in fact already using that, and it didn’t help.  But I stumbled across the
“titlingpage” environment (in the same manual) and that did the trick.

OK. Glad these are fixed.

2. I am still intrigued by the behavior of \hperref.

Hyperref just puts in the “Annotation”, which defines the rectangle on the page to become “active”.

I realized one important thing: the Mac mighty mouse can be configured as  either a one-button or two-button mouse.
Long ago, I tried the two-button setting and (since I was already used to the older one-button mice) that it was totally messing up my use of TeXShop, probably because I would habitually forget to do something in one mode when it needed to be done in the other.  So I have stayed with the one-button configuration, Microoft be damned.
  :-)

Having realized the one-button
versus two-button settings, I tried option-click and that works fine for jumping to the desired place.
But before I thought of that, I found (in my one-button mode) that if I clicked on a hyper reference immediately after typesetting, I would get the jump.  But subsequent
attempts (even from the same reference) would not jump.  A single click would give me a little box with a bit of the text being referred to, a double click seemed to do the
same, and a triple click would give me a magnified version of my current page.

It is up to the PDF reader application to decide what to do when the mouse
is over the active rectangle.
(This is stated in the PDF Specs.)

For example, in Apple applications built using WebKit, hovering over an internal
(to the current document) link, you get to see a popup of a portion of the page
where the destination is declared.

This is rather dear to me, as I showed this kind of behaviour at BachoTeX 2007,
where references to a figure would cause a popup image of that figure.
It was implemented in JavaScript, embedded within the PDF document itself
as an included image.  (So rather tricky to program, as you may well imagine.)

Someone made the comment that this kind of effect shouldn’t need to be
specific to the document, but rather be implemented in the PDF browser.
Lo and behold, within a few years we could see this happening in Skim.

Now other browsers have adopted it.

I’m currently working on a document using lots of acronyms via the  glossaries  package.
These have internal links back to a glossary page on which the acronym is defined,
in terms of what the letters stand for.

The same idea works for any abbreviation, including mathematical variables.
The document has lots of statistics on fish stocks in the NE of USA, bordering with Canada.
Lots of technical jargon.

Each occurrence of jargon is set as an acronym, with glossary entry.
Run the mouse over it and you see immediately what concept the term refers to.

This is very useful; esp. when you recall how we used to have to flip back through
printed pages to find where and how a variable was defined, or what kind of values it takes.
Now it’s literally just there, under your finger tips.

For the latin names of the fish species, you see a beautifully drawn image
of the fish itself, as an image on the page listing the species,
along with abbreviations to refer to them and the fish stock location.

Other abbreviations are to geographical locations; e.g., US, CA, NY, ME, MA, etc.
The glossary page for these has a map, on which the locations are identified.

On the other hand, when in Adobe Acrobat, hyperreferences work perfectly fine in my one-button mode.

Acrobat doesn’t use WebKit, so you don’t get the pop-up effect.
Instead you need to click and jump into the glossary (or wherever), then hit
the *back-view* arrow button in the navigation ribbon, to return to where you were.

I always use a 1-button mouse anyway.
Actually, the track-pad on my laptop (no external mouse),
so the modifier keys are needed anyway, to emulate a Windows mouse.

Of course that is not a Tex on Mac OS issue.

The WebKit pop-ups are really good.
I’m surprised that Adobe doesn’t implement them for Acrobat and Reader.
Maybe it’s a hard thing to do consistently with both Mac and Windows?
Dunno. Worth suggesting it?

Again thanks for the help.
Ziggy Nitecki

Zbigniew Nitecki
Department of Mathematics
Tufts University
Medford, MA 02155

BTW, MA is one of the acronyms I need to use.
I hope you appreciate the state of overfishing
in the waters off where you live!!

All the best.

Ross

Dr Ross Moore
12 Wally’s Walk, Level 7, Room 734
Macquarie University, NSW 2109, Australia
T: +61 2 9850 8955  |  F: +61 2 9850 8114
M:+61 407 288 255  |  E: ross.moore at mq.edu.au<mailto:ross.moore at mq.edu.au>
http://www.maths.mq.edu.au
[cid:image001.png at 01D030BE.D37A46F0]
CRICOS Provider Number 00002J. Think before you print.

This message is intended for the addressee named and may
contain confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient, please delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed
in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not
necessarily the views of Macquarie University. <http://mq.edu.au/>
<http://mq.edu.au/>